Wednesday, October 17, 2007

You've gotta Fight for your Right......to hate your job

Ahh hahaha.. the jokester is in session today. What I want to talk about is the right of ADD/ADHDers to accommodations in the work place, we have a recognized disability. I remember the day my boss came to me for the umpteenth time about my paperwork being late. I finally told him I had ADD/ADHD he said that now he knew my formerly mysteriously lazy behaviour began to make sense. The sense of relief I felt at that moment was profound. I was able to ask for help in a way that did not make me feel defective. I even asked to be checked up on more often! Can you believe that?
Since then my performance evaluations progressively got better and better. I think that was the turning point where I began to work with my ADHD instead of against it. I've definitely learned that once I got on top of my paperwork, progress notes etc. the way to stay on top was to do it now. That's not to say that I always jump right on tasks but I'm not so far behind the eight ball anymore that I can't get caught up very quickly usually same day.
OK here is an excellent article about accommodations on the job by Dale S. Brown from the ADDA website.
Remember to keep fighting.

No comments: